7.14.2008

What it means to be an independent contractor.

1. You're not paid salary to be at work 9-5 every day.
2. You come in whenever you want.
3. You leave whenever you want.
4. You take vacation or sick days whenever you want.
5. YOU DO NOT GET PHONE CALLS IN THE MORNING ASKING WHEN YOU ARE COMING IN TO WORK.

So, as you can probably guess from the above rant, I was a little peeved this morning when my Guitar Hero-playing was interrupted by a phone call asking when I'd be in to work... whenever I damn well feel like it- that's when! But really, I just got dressed and came into work. Because I'm lame and I don't stick up for myself enough. I should have a pay raise. But I don't. I should have a new and shiny title. But I don't. AND I should make up my own schedule. But I don't. Blah.

Enough about that- a new rant, and, sorry, its about politicians again.
This guy came into the firm this morning handing out little bulletins about his run for U.S. Congress. Now, I don't really know this guy so I won't knock the ridiculous picture of him on the bulletin or the fact that his little piece of paper looks like he asked his 12 year old niece to design it... BUT, I do have a problem with the fact that he has no political experience and for his first shot, he decides to run for the UNITED STATES CONGRESS. Not County Council, School Board, or even Florida Congress. NOOOOO- the big house! Dude...baby steps! Who wants to elect someone who has a master's degree in communications and has absolutely no experience creating or voting on legislation? I mean, how do we know that he even knows how to digest legislation since he didn't even graduate with a political science degree (like I did!)??? Maybe I'm being a little harsh (not really), and maybe he would be a terrific congressman (not likely), and maybe he's like a genius and will be the best legislator to come out of the State of Florida (riiiight), BUT probably not. LORD.

Reality TV.
So, one of my favorite reality TV shows (close third after Survivor and The Bachelor/ette) premiered its new season last night- BIG BROTHER 10! Woot. This show satisfies my thirst for tv producer-created drama during the summer and the major "+" is that it comes on 3 days a week! Yessss. Check it out if you wanna- CBS on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.

Anyway, the one reality show that I H>A>T>E is The Hills on MTV. It is really sad to admit it because I remember watching Laguna Beach and the first season of The Hills with my friend Kimmie when I was in college- it was, like, our thing. We'd take over the GIANT television in the common room of the house we lived in with my husband (my fiance' at the time) and another dude and cook different food (mexican night was the best) and laugh and ooh and aah at all the goings-on in the show. But, now...ugh. It is so lame and scripted and interfered with and, most of all, I HATE HEIDI and her ridiculous boyfriend/not-boyfriend/fiance'/not-fiance'/music videographer/stupid ugly guy Spencer. Did you know that they have hired a photographer to follow them around and catch everything they do in their boring stupid ridiculous lives?? Can you believe it? I mean, how crazy/self-involved do you have to be? I have nothing else to say- except to all of you who look at their pictures and still watch The Hills- stop it. Stop the madness. I'm tired of reading about Speidi in US Weekly and People. I mean, she was the answer on Jeopardy the other day! How do we even explain this to future generations?


I'm done. Talk to you all again soon. :)

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com