7.17.2008

Once bitten, twice shy.

Just so you know- I am generally a "cool" person. I wasn't always "cool" and maybe I'm only "cool" in my mind, but that's not the point. I am about to describe to you what happens when my life drifts off to Lame City.

My friend Rachel's birthday was last week and on her blog she (thankfully) listed a few things that she would be happy to receive as gifts. I always have trouble buying things for Rachel because we've been such close friends for so many years (10) that I really feel like the gift should mean something. I don't want to just go to Target and pick something out I think she'd like. I want her to open it and know that she's my friend. Do you understand? Anyway, on her blog, she gushed that she was obsessed with this series of books by Stephenie Meyer. Apparently, they were written for a teenage-type audience because the series begins by chronicling the life of a junior in high school. But Rachel loved them all the same and was asking for the new book that was written for a more adult audience. So, I was at the bookstore the other day buying fitness magazines for my husband and I decided to get a few books to read on the cruise when I'm lounging by the pool or on the beach. I saw this stand with the three Stephenie Meyer books (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse) and decided, "what the heck?!" and bought the first one. Just so you know, I also bought the 14th book in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (Fearless Fourteen). So I went home and I read maybe the first 30 or so pages of the book. It hadn't drug me in yet.

Well, yesterday, I stayed at home from work- I wasn't feeling well- and I was just relaxing watching Regis and Kelly, when I decided to pick the book up and start reading some more. I had to the mute the T.V.- I didn't turn it off- I don't know why. Don't ask. Anyways- this book is like 500 pages long and I read the whole book yesterday. The story is kinda mushy (it's a vampire love story, essentially) but the author is great at getting people (well, me) to turn the page. So, when Z got home last night from work, I made him go with me to Wally World and buy the others in the series. I'm almost done with the second book (its more than 500 pages). I BARELY ate yesterday and forgot to eat this morning because I was so engrossed in this series. It's minorly ridiculous and lame. Whatever. At this very moment, I have the book in front of my computer at work hidden behind the screen of my laptop and I am ready to stop telling this story so I can get back to that one. Lame. I know.

Anyhoo- Thanks to Rachel for pointing the author out to me. Are there any books that have captured your attention like this? Which ones?

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow...I can't believe it sucked you in too...Isn't it more then amazing...don't worry, the fourth one comes out 8/1/08...maybe I will get it for your birthday. And, on top of that they have made a movie for it...it comes out in Dec. It really is amazing!!! Its funny you also bought that 14th book, I have been buying her books for a couple of months now, starting with #1, but have been so engrossed with Twilight Series, I haven't had a chance to read it. Have you read her (Evanivioch) books?? Are they any good??? Well love you...

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com