6.22.2008

That's Beachin'!

So, I'm back from the beach-- and I had a good time. We really didn't spend too much time actually on the beach-- we spent a lot more time at restaurants and in the hotel pool. I am a little sunburned, but not too bad because I was at least smart enough to put some sunscreen on once before I got into the pool. We ate at some interesting places. On Friday for dinner we ate at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge which is a country bar based out of Nashville. It was located in a shopping center that looked a little like Town Center, but more like Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach.

Anyways, after that, we went back to the room for a bit (we picked up some booze on the way) and the boys went down to the hotel pool because I had read on the internet that there was a swim up bar at the pool. There wasn't a swim up pool, but there was a bar next to the pool. So we all went down there and Jamie and I had some pina coladas. They were extremely yummy. There was a little steel drum band that was playing some recognizable tunes (like Jimmy Buffet). Later in the night, we ordered some food- I got some french fries because thats what I want to eat everytime I get a little tipsy. Glen and Jamie both decided they wanted a little seafood, so Glen got a seafood platter and Jamie got some crab balls. The crab balls were not good. at. all. They looked and tasted burnt. Glen's $16 seafood platter looked like an appetizer that should have cost, at max, $8. So, I, of course, said something to the waiter. He told us that the batter that they put on the crab balls "just looks like that." So, I decided to say something to the manager. Problem was, apparently there is no kitchen manager at night. Well, that would make sense-- seeing as how the food was crap. The woman at the bar told me that we would have to come back the next morning. So, we paid and were fixing to leave when Jamie said something about not even having a print out of what we bought because the receipt only said how much it was. So, I had to go get a print out of the receipt and I took one of the crab balls with me. I got the print out- and I said to the waiter, "You said that the crab balls are supposed to look like this, but can you just eat this and tell me if its supposed to taste like this?" He took it from me and said, "I'm not going to eat this," and then he chucked it into the trashcan. I was so pissed. We left that restaurant fuming. But, then we went down to the beach and put our feet in the ocean and took funny pictures and started to feel less angry. Then we went and jumped into the pool with all our clothes on. :) We had a few more drinks in the hotel room before we all crashed. And, let me say, Glen snores like an effing chainsaw. It comes out of nowhere and it is freakin' loud as hell. He also sleepwalks...yeah. :)

So, the next day, we got up and went and had breakfast at a shit hole. No, seriously. It was crap. It was a breakfast buffet place, but they had instant eggs and way too much salt on their bacon. It was icky-- I mean, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good. So then we went to the beach and laid out in the sun. The boys and Jamie went and got into the ocean, but I waited for a report. Sometimes, the ocean is really gross. At home, its not the cleanest or bluest water, but at least I know what's up. On the gulf coast, I feel likes it's hit and miss. Especially in Panama City Beach where THOUSANDS of college students trash the beach every year during Spring Break. They said that the water was icky because of all of the seaweed. They also said that there were fish jumping up and that made Glen uneasy because if the fish are jumping, its probably because there is something they are trying to escape-- like a big predator. :) The second time that the boys went in, they said that they saw jellyfish. So, they headed up to the hotel pool. I stayed down on the beach and laid in the sun for a while until some people came up and kicked us off of the beach chairs. RUDE. So, Jamie put her towel on the sand and laid down, but I just picked up all mine and Z's stuff and headed up to the pool.

After a little while, we decided to get out and go get some lunch. We went up to Pinneapple Willy's. Its a popular restaurant in the area, and also a popular bar late night. We each had a signature frozen drink in HUGE cups and seafood that was so yummy. After that we did a little shopping at the typical beach stores, like WINGS and Alvin's. Alvin's is like the Wal-Mart Superstore of beach shops. I thought it would never end. They even have a little alligator habitat in the store with live gators. I didn't buy anything other than a bottle of water (I was so parched after walking for miles in that store!). I did get a t-shirt at Pinneapple Willy's, though.
Anyways, we headed back after that and Z and I CRASHED when we got home. It was a good trip (other than the crappy hotel bar/restaurant and the icky ocean). I don't know if we'll go back there again, but it was fun all the same.

Now, I have to go and study. I have exams starting next Monday. Pooey.

(P.S. RACHEL, you have to post in your blog!)

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com